Sickness. Sadness. Hurt. Death. Change.
Those five words, in one combination or another, were very prevalent in the lives of so many people I know in the year 2012.
Children with tumors, children with cancer, children involved in accidents, or children brutally murdered within the safety of their own school.
Parent(s) dying, family members dying, teachers /coworkers dying, friends dying...I really don't even want to check my email anymore because it's almost like "who is next"?
People sick. People sad. People hurting. People dying or coping with death.
Change. Unwanted change. Unexpected change.
So, now what? Do we just let 2012 write our story for how we will enter 2013?
Sick? Sad? Hurting? Dying? Change surrounding you?
I have good news!
God did not change. He was, He is, He will always be.
This is not to say that He will allow things to go our way, and according to our plan, but it is to say He is in the MIDST of EVERY situation. This is not to say that He will heal all of the sickness, make all of the sad and hurt happy and well. It may not be in His will that your loved one be healed and that they avoid death during this very season. It is most certainly not to say that He will not allow another change to knock on your door.
But (change of direction) what if He did?
If there was no sickness, would we appreciate good health?
If we were never sad, how would we know happiness?
If we never hurt, would we be grateful for the "good" times?
If there was no death, there would be no Heaven (or Hell), which would mean that all we have to live for is this very life that we have now. No thanks! There has got to be more!
If there was never any change, I would not have graduated high school, college, started teaching, gotten married, had two beautiful baby boys, etc....
So, I ask again, now what?
Walk around with a stupid "everything is just fine" grin on your face? The "Sunday school smile" so its been called? Try to balance it all on your own? Try to figure it all out? "What if" yourself to death? Let's just worry! Let's set aside every extra penny we have so when our country crashes and burns, we will at least have enough for ourselves? Do we hold everyone at a distance to avoid future pain? Do we...WHAT?
What is the magic answer?
I do not know magic, nor do I know a magician...however...I do know the GREAT physician...and I know Him personally. He is my Lord. He is my God. He is my song. He is my reason. Above my family, my church, and my school, He is why I exist. He is my hope. He IS.
He is...Sickness. Sadness. Hurt. Death. Change. He took on all of these things when He died on the cross for us. He carried these burdens so that we don't have to. We will face these challenges, but they do not have to defeat nor define us. His burden is LIGHT. He IS because we are NOT! We cannot do life alone. We cannot face these 5 things, or any other 5 things you want to put in their place. We were each created with a "God shaped" hole that only He can fill. Until you invite Him to take His rightful place in your heart- in that hole only He can fill- you will not know what people mean when they speak of a "peace that passes all understanding". You will not truly understand that "sorrow may last for the night, but JOY comes in the morning." He will give beauty for ashes and strength for fear!
How? Why? You don't know what I have done! I don't like church...it's full of hypocrites.
(Insert your excuse here)
It's as simple as A.B.C
A- admit that you are a sinner
B- believe that Jesus died on the cross for your sins
C-confess Him as your Lord and Savior.
Is this a recipe for an easy life? No way! Just a life of peace and hope and assurance!
There are hurting people around me every day. I cannot offer advice, because I have not been there. I cannot offer answers, because I have do not have any.
But (change of direction), I can offer them my ear to listen and my heart and mouth to pray. I can offer to share with the them the hope and peace I have found in God during hard times.
In 2013 I am going to try and remember that HE IS and I am NOT, nor was I designed to be.
So, I say goodbye to 2012, and in doing so I say goodbye to some pretty incredible people, but I know without a shadow of a doubt if Jesus was their Lord...this goodbye will only be temporary...so...see you soon!
But (change of direction) in the meantime...
(David McLendon)
Seek God's will, don't assume it.
(Jeff Simmons)
Love God, love people.
(Johnny Robison)
Live life to the fullest!
(John 10:10)
And last but not least...
Don't let your circumstances define you...they are each one season in a life of seasons that you will face...
(Stephanie Welch)
Happy New Year.
Wednesday, January 2, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good word, Loody. You're so "balanced & blessed". Thanks for sharing the Truth unashamedly. You make marriage, motherhood, and teaching look so easy. Just greater proof that you're the real deal :)
ReplyDelete