And then...the unthinkable happened...
Someone got the idea that we should take "church" to the neighborhood. WHAT? You can't have church outside the walls of a church, can you? Isn't this the way we have ALWAYS done it though? YES! IT IS! Our pastor OFTEN says, "If you keep doing what you have always done, you will get what you have always gotten." He is so right. The remote ministry got off to a rough start, but a little over a year later Chris, Gage and I (and all of the people who help us) have made a lot of friends, loved on a lot of kids, and spent some precious and quality time in the neighborhood.
I love for Gage to ask if we are going to church, but I love even more when he asks when are going to see our "friends in the neighborhood". I also love to hear him say, "Mommy, I see Leroy, Squirrel, and Kenny." Tonight he met a lady named Peaches, and he is probably still laughing at how funny she is.
We pray that they see God in us. We pray that it's not taken as a "hand out", but rather, time spent between friends talking about Christ. Everyone learning from each other. Everyone growing together, and maybe, just maybe, if they don't know Christ, something we say or do will lead them to Him!
No comments:
Post a Comment