I can't believe its been three years since I was at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia with my mom calling Whitney (my sister-in-law) on the phone in Eatonton, Georgia asking her to please help Chris pack, book a flight for THAT DAY, get him to the airport and get him to where I was. The doctor's were certain Gage was coming, and SOON!
It all seems like a whirlwind, but at the same time I can recall it day by day and detail by detail. I never get tired of writing about/typing about/or speaking about what God has done in the life of our family.
Robert "Gage" Brown was born on September 4, 2008. He was 6 lbs and 14 oz. He was 19.5 in. long. He screamed when they pulled him from my tummy, and we didn't hear another sound from his sweet lips for weeks. He was given a 50% chance of making it full term, and a 75% chance after that. The odds were stacked against him from the get go...he was premature and he was a c-section baby. As I have said many times before...I am thankful to love and serve a God who does not work in percentages, and shines when it seems the odds are stacked against us. To HIM be all the glory! Gage had surgery 5 days after his birth to put his bowels, spleen, and appendix back in their proper places since they had been in his chest cavity since he was 20 weeks inside of me. We spent the next 6 weeks at CHOP and in the Ronald McDonald House in Philly. It was a long road, but I am thankful we walked it! God was so good and gracious to us the whole time and still is today. It will take a lifetime-and beyond- to realize each detail and God's guidance behind it, but I pray I never cease trying to and then thanking Him for it!
Gage will be three tomorrow. He is tall, he is strong, he is smart, and he is precious. He loves people, he loves school, he loves cars and trains, he loves books, and he loves life. God has given him the ability-even at three-to love life. To take in each day. To appreciate the little things. To breathe deep, to laugh loud, and to love hard. Whatever he does, he does it well and with precision. He is not perfect, and I am learning not to expect him to be, but he tries hard to do his best. I don't know if there is anything sweeter than a love between a momma and her son. He makes me melt, he makes me laugh, and he makes me proud. I don't know how Mary did it, when she raised Jesus, knowing the end result of His life would be for a sinner like me. I don't know how, but I am thankful she did, and I am thankful for the example she set as a mother. I pray I will love Gage as she loved Jesus...every day, every way, and in every circumstance. I want to be his biggest fan, and I pray that one day when he chooses his wife, he will look for some of the same qualities he saw in me. I hope what he sees in Chris and I will one day put in him desire to have that same type of marriage...not for a LONG LONG time though!!
Sometimes life is hard, and life is busy, and life is stressful, but even in those times God whispers...you my child...are blessed beyond belief. It's not because we deserve it, or have earned it, its simply because God is so good!
No comments:
Post a Comment