Since moving to Milledgeville I have had more than my fair share of hair ladies. Some have cut it too short, some haven't cut it short enough, I have had gray highlights as well as NO highlights when I paid for them. For the most part, they have each been one hit wonders...and I wonder how they stay in business.
However...this all changed about a year ago. I went to a local salon that was highly recommended by some friends of mine from school. You will LOVE her, my friend said. She is so funny and loves to talk. She is good at hair and I guarantee you won't be disappointed. Why not, what did I have to lose?
I fell in love with Christa, at Glow salon, from hello. We formed an immediate friendship the second she said- wait what is your son's name? Was that about 3 years ago? Yep...I prayed for him!!! WHAT? Are you serious? I said girl, this miracle you prayed for will soon be sitting in your chair and I will need you cut his hair as well! The rest as they say is history! As long as she is cutting/styling hair, I will make a time (though not often enough) to sit in her chair! You see, I have learned that being a hair stylist is more than just a job, it's a calling. It's like being a teacher, a nurse, or a soldier. Sure...anyone can do it...but if you aren't called to it, you aren't going to enjoy it or be successful at it. Doing hair is an art, and each head is like a blank canvas. To a stylist, I have learned, that each head belongs to a person, and each person has a story. Whether the client is a regular, or only comes every 4-5 months, for that hour or two they have some undivided attention. That client is listened to, talked to, pampered, and made to feel beautiful. Whether they are high on life or experiencing the fat post-part-um blues, they feel beautiful for a little while. Every now and then this relationship goes a little bit deeper, and the care taker becomes the cared about...and that...in my opinion is what makes the world go around. You let me in, and I will let you in. What goes around comes around. Sometimes life is hard, sometimes things we don't like just happen, and sometimes you just want a friend to sit down in your chair so you can talk about it.
Thanks for letting me in today Christa. I love you like family and am thankful some friends recommended you to me. I always like my hair, and even more, I enjoy talking and laughing with a new friend!
This is so true! My husband and I sold our house and all of our stuff in 200o, and started traveling in an RV. The WORST part of doing that is playing roulette every time I needed a haircut. There has been some true hair misery in these 12 years. But the best thing? Is whenever we visit our home town, and I get to go back and see my hair stylist. Thank God she is my daughter.
ReplyDelete