Sunday, November 3, 2013

We. Are. Done.

It was about year ago that Chris and I decided that we were just about done with "church". It wasn't your usual laundry list of "why I don't want to go to church". We didn't care about the carpet color, the worship music, or even that we were surrounded by hypocrites (we actually found ourselves in good company). It was basically one thing...we had lost sight of what really mattered and what church was really all about. We got BUSY and called ourselves serving. We wanted what was best for our family and called ourselves Godly examples. We said yes to everything and called ourselves involved in the local body. We became critical and bitter and called ourselves spiritual. This is not to say that we were completely in the wrong for disagreeing with some of the things that were taking place, but that blog has flown the coop and would benefit no one! Today it's not about pointing fingers, but rather about grace. God's amazing grace. It was a year ago that we said, ok God, we'll give it another try. We know you are calling us away from a place that is so near and dear to our hearts, and we need a fresh perspective. We will go.

I remember that first Sunday like it was yesterday. I cried the entire service. I looked at the simplicity around me and I cried. I listened to these people around me sing their hearts out and I cried. I heard this man in blue jeans and a t-shirt claim to be the preacher (but this could not be so, he was not in a suit and tie). I listened to his heart and looked past his attire, and my heart was softened. I looked at Chris- his happy/sad/glad/made face in tact, and I knew he felt it too. Healing. Not just a band aid...no...this was surgery. God started a work that day. He began to slowly start removing the things that had gotten us so down. God began to show us that though this is not the type of church we were raised in, this was the one He wanted us to raise our boys in. It's not a perfect place, but it's our place. It's our home. These people are our family.

It is only fitting that today, one year later, the service was focused on "worship". We are often reminded at Church Central that worship is more that songs on Sunday. It is our lifestyle. When you are a home, you worship. When you are at school (work), you worship. When you are at the store...you get the idea! Today's sermon contained words like "motive" and "priorities." The question was asked "Is your faith built on the Rock or on your circumstances?  Do we worship, or do we miss it? Are we so caught up in the "stuff" that we don't hear (or sing) the "song"? We look for "it" rather that God. The "its" will change, but HE will not. He cannot! Can we worship how BIG God is just because He's God?!? Let's let our yes be yes and our no be no. If we say no to the things that don't matter, when we say yes it will be more meaningful.

Bottom line? What have we learned during this transitional year of our lives at Church Central of Milledgeville, Ga?

1. Bring them in, build them up, send them out.

2. It's not about us!

3. Worship is not a song, it's a lifestyle.

4. Love is about loving from the inside out, not the outside in.

5. Simple. is. better.

6. Not being "in charge" has its perks!

7. Just because its not "the way we've always done it" doesn't make it wrong!

8. From Bonner Park to The Boddie Projects and from The Soup Kitchen all the way to Jamaica...God is there...and so are people from CC!

9. Discipleship...it's following Christ and taking somebody with you.

10. Life groups...that is where you live life with people, share your stories AND you serve others!

There are about 100 more things I could write here, but I will close with this...

What we long sight of a year ago...

Love God, love people!

No comments:

Post a Comment